The Ultimate Internship
May 27 - August 1, 2014
Arkansas Business Publishing Group in Little Rock
Apply today for the ultimate journalism/graphic design/marketing internship, The Publisher, a nine-week odyssey that gives you the chance to work side by side with professionals at the state's largest niche publishing company, Arkansas Business Publishing Group.
Now in its tenth year, The Publisher begins May 27, with a one-week break for Fourth of July, from June 30 - July 4. The internship resumes on July 7 and lasts until August 1. You'll work 40 hours per week, get an hourly wage, plus have a shot at winning a prize of $1,000 or $500.
During the program, you'll learn all sides of the publishing business, from the chaotic world of the working journalist and photographer to the high-pressure, pavement-pounding deal making of the sales staff. You'll experience the rush of working in Arkansas' capital city with opportunities to meet business, political and cultural leaders.
Applicants can choose one of these positions suited to a variety of degree programs:
- Writing/reporting - journalism major, news/editorial emphasis
- Graphic design - graphic design or journalism newspaper design major
- Marketing - marketing, business, advertising, public relations major
- Photography - photography, journalism major
- Circulation/client services - online research skills to verify and support distribution projects, conflict resolution and online marketing strategies
Interns will work side by side and individually with their respective departments on a variety of tasks both large and small.
Choose Your Adventure
The writing/reporting intern will work with the editors and reporters who produce Arkansas Business newspaper, Arkansasbusiness.com and Little Rock Family magazine. The graphic design intern will work with a talented team of graphic artists who give each of our more than 20 publications a distinct, sophisticated look.
The marketing intern will provide support to our marketing staff on a variety of publications and events. The photography intern will help supply images for all our publications, Web sites and marketing efforts.
The circulation/client services intern will provide customer service, promote online registrations and support for distribution projects.
At the end of the term, individual interns will be judged to determine the term's top interns. They will receive cash prizes of $1,000 and $500 respectively. Criteria for the winner will include the individual's contributions to his or her department; the individual's contributions to the group; and the individual's overall value to the program.
To apply, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must attend an in-state school. If you attend an out-of-state school, you must be an Arkansas resident. But preference will be given to students at in-state schools.
- You must have completed 60 hours (be a sophomore) at a four-year college, and 30 hours if attending a community college.
- You must provide a résumé and references of job history and educational background.
- You must complete our application.
The application deadline is March 31, 2014. Applicants must be prepared to take part in one-on-one interviews in Little Rock. Click HERE to print out a PDF of the application. Send applications, résumé, letter of recommendation and any clips or work samples that might be required to: "The Publisher" c/o Bill Page Arkansas Business Publishing Group 114 Scott St. P.O. Box 3686 Little Rock, AR 72203 Questions? Call Bill Page at (501) 372-1443, Ext. 227 or e-mail email@example.com.